[dropcap]W[/dropcap]hat we believe matters to us. Beliefs shape the way we worship God, live our lives, interact with each other and discover our place in the world. Belief connects us to God and leads us to do what He desires we do.
Because of that, we care very much about studying the Bible and gaining an understanding of who God is, what He has done, who we are and what life is all about.
Of course, like any church, our beliefs extend beyond this short list, but we share these fundamental positions so that you can have a basic understanding of our theology and ideology here at Calvary.
We believe the Old and New Testaments to be plenary, verbally inspired by God, inerrant in the original writings, and the supreme and final authority in faith and life.
We believe the Bible is applicable and necessary for our daily life, not outdated or deficient.
We believe that God exists eternally in the three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
These three Persons are one God having precisely the same nature, attributes, and perfections.
When it comes to Jesus Christ, we believe in:
– His eternal existence as God.
– His incarnation by means of the Virgin Birth.
– His death on the cross as the substitutionary atonement for sin.
– His literal, bodily resurrection from the dead.
– His present ministry of intercession in heaven.
– His personal return to earth.
We believe the Holy Spirit, the third Person of the Godhead, convicts men of sin, regenerates, baptizes, indwells, seals, and sets apart believers unto a holy life. We believe that He keeps and empowers believers day by day, that He is the Teacher of the Word of God and the Guide of our daily life.
When it comes to human beings, we believe:
– Man was created innocent and pure.
– Adam fell through the sin of disobedience.
– Therefore, all men are corrupted in body, mind, and spirit.
– Therefore, all are in need of redemption.
How can a person be saved? We believe:
– It is by grace, a free gift of God apart from works.
– It requires repentance-turning from your way to God’s way.
– It is through personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
– All who receive Him are regenerated by the Holy Spirit and become the children of God.
– True salvation will be manifested by a changed life.
We believe the Holy Spirit gives gifts to Christians in order to serve God and be empowered for daily life. We do not believe that any of the spiritual gifts have ceased, but continue today and are available and should be desired so that we can serve God faithfully and minister to others.
For a deeper understanding of our position on the Gifts of the Spirit, you can visit this page.
The Bible talks about what God is going to do in future history. We believe:
– In a pre-tribulation rapture of the Church.
– In the personal, visible, bodily, premillennial return of Jesus Christ to earth.
– In the bodily resurrection of the just to eternal abode in the glory of His presence.
– In the bodily resurrection of the unjust to judgment and everlasting conscious punishment
in the Lake of Fire.
These are just a few of our basic theological positions. If you have a specific question regarding our teachings, feel free to contact us here.
Or, you might be able to find out what you’re wondering on our FAQ page.